Sunday, November 29, 2009

Lake Placid


Last week, while sauntering to my balcony in the morning with my honey lemon drink, with my habitual blissful state, I looked afar to the wetland down below and to my utter shock, I have encountered a site which jabbed at my heart like a dagger. The flock of frolicking birds that were a frequent and natural sight till then were found missing. I scanned the water for any sign of disturbance which might have scared the birds away and to my amazement I saw small heads of bamboo poles sticking out from under the water. On closer inspection, the shocking realization dawned on my that it was in fact a large fish net strewn across the water, secured by bamboo poles for catching the lovely birds. The heinous act made my blood boil and later investigation revealed that those culprits were non other than the construction labours who wanted to feast on those tiny birds. Although, that net has been confiscated and the labours are duly warned, the damage has been done and the birds flew to safer places when they have got the premonition of the impending danger. They have taken away with them the heavenly bliss which I always encountered while basking in the panoramic view of flock of birds taking flight in encircling precision. Carnivorous human being seems to seems to have invaded our tranquil campus which till now have been heavenly abode of endangered and migratory birds. Thankfully, other water bodies in the campus are still safe from the flesh hunters and birds can be seen serenely sitting at those placid lakes. I pray fervently each day for the birds to return but except for some stork varieties at random, the flocks have simply disappeared. Amazing is human greed, still amazing is their immunity to the ethereal beauty surrounding them..I feel immense pity for those soul who are not only blind to nature's bounty but they are actually capable of destroying the very beauty which can give them solace and eternal bliss..

No comments:

Post a Comment